A Brief History of the San Luis Coastal Teachers Association
The San Luis Obispo Teacher’s Club was formed on February 9, 1927. Wesley Alderman presided over that meeting of 1927. Four important steps were taken: (1) the name, San Luis Obispo Teachers’ Club, was chosen; (2) a president, Albert T. Vinacke, was elected; (3) a second meeting was set for February 28th to discuss a constitution; and (4) the following objectives were adopted:
- Social opportunities,
- Professional improvement,
- Concerted action for mutual aid,
- Cooperation with patrons of the school for the improvement of education,
- Cooperation with the administration and the Board of Education,
The constitution adopted March 21, 1927, provided that administrators and principals, as well as classroom teachers, might become members of the Teachers’ Club on signing the register and paying dues.
In November of the same year, the faculty of the California State Polytechnic School, under leadership of Margaret Chase, and the rural teachers of adjacent county schools were admitted to membership.
Today, the San Luis Coastal Teachers Association represents over 400 teachers and specialists at 15 school sites located in Morro Bay, Los Osos, and San Luis Obispo.